April 14, 2010

I've Always Wanted to Be...

a southern belle. I don't know why, I've never been into movies like The Glass Menagerie, I've never ate a fried green tomato, never been to Savannah, Charleston or New Orleans, and I H.A.T.E sweet tea.
Perhaps I like the more modern day definition of a southern belle, a beautiful and charming woman from the Southern United States. A Southern Belle possesses an undeniable natural charm, has a warm and dazzling smile, and impeccable manners, calling each person she encounters 'sir' or 'ma'am' regardless of their age or position. A Southern Belle can be recognized by her unforgettable Southern drawl, unstinting hospitality and graciousness, and her recognition as Football as a part of her religion. Southern Belles are recognized as one of God's greatest creations and continously overshadow women from Northern US States.
There's something about that long blonde hair, colorful shoes, sundresses, and that ADORABLE accent that just makes me green with envy.
I often times find myself speaking with a southern accent {this mostly happens late at night}. I live in Ohio and say "ya'll". I find myself trying to think of ways to work words like "shugah", "darlin'" and "honey" into my every day vocabulary but fail miserably because that's just not mid-western. So instead I talk this way to the dogs.
Steal Magnolias is one of my favorite movies, I love the beach, I'd kill to be tan year round, and my daddy was always my hero {till Mr. Husband came into my life}. When I was planning our wedding I even subscribed to Southern Weddings. Does that make me a little bit closer to being a belle? Didn't think so.
"Look at Reese Witherspoon. She's flawless and brilliant. Look at her smile, look at her charm! I feel mezmerized by her!"
"Of course you do, she's from Tennessee."
"And what does that have to do with anything?"
"It has everthing to do with it! She's a Southern Belle!"
Maybe that's why I love her so much! Some of my favorite "belles" are...
Reese, duh
Kellie Pickler, this girl is TOO FUNNY!
the ULTIMATE southern girl, Miss Paula Deen
Miss Carrie Underwood, LOVE her, she's beauty
What do you think, ya'll?

23 comments:

  1. I love Southern accents, too... mine is terrible, or else I would use it all the time!! :) I love Reese, and Kellie! Such dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so loved this post. I too envy alot of what you do. I am from Florida, as south as you can get, and wish it were the true south. It just doesn't get any better than that. Would love to be a Scarlett O'Hara!! Ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Miss Paula and her sticks of butter! She is REAL southern!!


    www.dukeandsarah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that I've never met a "Southern belle." The women I know from "down South" are far from your stereotypical description.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Southern Belles! I mean I am from Kentucky! However, Paula Deen is an original Southern Belle :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on this one lady. Southern belles seem to have it all. Who wouldn't want those cute shoes, sweet little dresses and perfectly matched purses and jewelry?! If I could ever learn to cook like a southern belle, I'd be in hog heaven! :) Ummmm some of my favorite celebrities are Reese, Kelli and Carrie Underwood. LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you can always be like me. People love to ask me where I'm from because I have a southern accent and ironically I was born and raised in Southern California! I've had it since at least 4th grade when a teacher of mine talked with a Southern accent and I lived in North Carolina for a couple of months and it got stronger and never went away! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agreed! I wish I was Carrie and Reese :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The way Paula Dean utters the word, "Butta" for butter drives me insane sometimes. She's definitely southern!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not going to lie... I love being a "Southern belle." We may not all drink sweet tea, but we definitely say "y'all" and do most things the "old-fashioned way."

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a california girl but damn those southern belles have something about them. Loving the new post girl =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always tell my parents I wish they had lived in the South. I have always wanted to be a Southern Belle!!!! I also, used to talk with a southern accent haha....I can wish right?!

    Us Mid-Westerners are just plain boring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always tell my parents I wish they had lived in the South. I have always wanted to be a Southern Belle!!!! I also, used to talk with a southern accent haha....I can wish right?!

    Us Mid-Westerners are just plain boring!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm obsessed with the South and Southern Belles and I'm Canadian! You can't get much farther away from Southern than that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVED this post, particularly because I am from Houma, LA (an hour away from New Orleans). I say ya'll all the time (I even type it!) and football is definitely a religion to me. My favorite from your list of southern belles: Carrie Underwood. She is absolutely beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You HATE sweet tea?! WHAT! Fried green tomatoes are so good!! Kinda like fried pickles. Hahaha it cracks me up that you are envious of a southern accent. A lot of my friends feel like their accent makes them sound stupid or slow. I’m from southwest GA and even I make fun of people with REALLY southern accents. I think it depends a lot on who you’re around. A lot of people tell me that I don’t have a strong southern accent, and for that Im kinda thankful. Haha Its funny that you listed Paula Deen. She is actually from my hometown!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am the same way! Also from Ohio, I find myself wishing I was a southern belle. I think it's the fact that they carry themselves so respectfully and classy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I totally agree! I'm a little Southern (from Florida, sorority girl, love monograms) but I think that I really was meant to be much more.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i heart being from the south! I think every southern girl has a little "southern belle" in them. Paula takes the cake though! : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a southerner with no accent! I'm glad though - sometimes it can be a little grating ;) I LOVE sweet tea though - it's the best!! How can you not like it!? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well then dahlin we must deem you a Southern Belle! It's really a mindset if you will! I love this post! I love your blog! So sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love being from the South!

    This post made me happy :)
    Move down here, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh this is too adorable! i don't think i've ever had a fried green tomato [i just don't like tomatoes], but i do love being a southern belle :)

    ReplyDelete